Wednesday

Quenching my thirst for knowledge

I have hit another nerd period in my studies, which is really good since this last weekend turned into a drunkfest. Took me till now to fully recover from those events. Not going to get into the details of that here and now.

I was in Surgery class today, which I think might be my field of medicine, where we went to watch 3 cardiac surgeries. That is a bypass and valve exchange and both. There are viewing windows above 3 operating theaters where you can follow the procedure. That was not the biggest factor for me, you could not see that much from above. But the catch here is that there were two cardiac surgeons at hand available for questioning.

And boy did I have some questions for them, I had been wondering for a while how this was actually done. I seem to be very quick to figure out these practical things, propably my speciality, but I was able to get down to the details of it all.

When it came down to it cardiac surgery had been over rated in my mind. The surgeon did mention it needed some practice but then again everything needs some practice. Now that I know the details of the technique I dont think its that bad at all as in the complexity I had expected. Or the actual procedure is lengthy but no big hurdles really. Well lets face it you are taking a human heart and stopping it for up to 3 hours while operating on in, that cant be taken lightly, but its just like any other procedue just with more steps.

I was thrilled to get these things straight, because there were some things I had not been able to figure out by myself. One of them being how they were able to sew a vein (bypass) onto the coronary artery, once explained I was like "duh !!!". Catch here is that it is half stiched together with a continous stich seperately then just pulled together and finishing touches put on it. After some hours its to grown together, that is if there are no complications.

Marvelous science I tell ya...

róbert mar