Tuesday

A day @ the Hospital

I have needed some time to recover and gather my thoughts after having spent a day at the Hospital in Keflavík. The story is that Daði Jónsson 4th year is working as an assitant doctor there and we had made a deal that I would come visit him in the hospital.

His prerequisite was that he would get some time to settle in his new job, which was no problem of course. Then time came last thursday !!!

I could even feel it the night before, the butterflies twirling around in my stomach, like I was going to make some life or death decision or something. That was not the case, but I had been working on my homework assigned by the young enthusiastic doctor. Homework: read about clinical skills on the heart and lungs and know the basic procedures/diseases. So I already had some responsibility and was not going to be shadow but also share some of the spotlight.

I get there at 8 o´clock in the morning, first thing is to find a coat for me. It was a strange experience, cause I know the look the hungarians give me when I walk around campus in my lab coat. But now the looks were going to becomming from icelandic patients, who might actually recognize or know me, since I am from this town. Made the whole situation more serious.

Everything went great ! there was even a sudden burst action as 3 patients were admitted early afternoon. I ended up pinching myself as I quicky paced into one of the rooms with a morphine injection to be given i.v. into a cancer patient with serious abdominal/chest pains. Then another moment is when I was calling the research dept. and ordering some more values. Taking a blood sample and in the end taking a patients history because there was so much too do that I was the next to best thing.

All this under the supervision of Daði Jónsson, my attrusted colleague and friend.

DJ thanks for a great, monumental, career experience.

I will be back soon, or next time I have a day off.

róbert mar