Wednesday

Another first tomorrow















My medical studies have provide me with a lot of opportunities. So in the past years I have been doing a lot of first´s, some more spectacular than others.

Some examples are disecting a human body, fresh autopsy, acting like a doctor in hospital and many other things along this line.

Tomorrow I will be a 2nd assistant in a double bypass surgery, yes that is a serious high risk surgery. We are talking about a human heart that is actually stopped while its operated on. Let me make things clear is that im not going to do anything important here. I will not have anyones life in my hands.

My role is to assist with the Great Saphenous graft prepartion (vein from the leg) that is then going to be used for the bypass in the heart. I am really excited about this opportunity.

I was able to smother my way into this spot today in Surgery class, which was at the cardiac surgery center. The surgeons had not seen such enthusiasm from a foreign student in many years and ended up giving me the go ahead on this...

I will be sure to report back on this first time experience..

r.mar